Thursday, May 13, 2010

Pandora Radio - Free vs. Premium

Pandora.com

Free Version:
  • Internet based music radio
  • Free version sufficient for most
  • Limited to 40 hours of listening hours per month
  • Great variety of musical genres and artists
  • Very few ads for free edition users
  • Moderate quality audio stream
  • Apps for iPod, iPhone, iPad, BlackBerry, Android + web-based for Windows / Mac

Premium Version (Pandora One):
  • No Ads

  • Unlimited Daily Skips (6 per hour max due to licensing)
  • Higher Quality audio stream (192k)
  • Unlimited listening hours
  • Internet based music radio
  • Great variety of musical genres and artists
  • Apps for iPod, iPhone, iPad, BlackBerry, Android
  • Pandora One desktop app for Windows / Mac
Today I upgraded to Pandora One, the premium paid service by Pandora. For years I've used the free account with practically no issues. It's an incredible service for FREE! Last night I decided to, using my iPad, listen to Pandora all night as I slept. Successful experiment; slept very well. 
As a result, I used up the allotted monthly limit of 40 hours on the free account. I've also tired of the limit on skips and commercials playing every few songs. $36 per year is a small price to pay to eliminate those annoyances. 

As a note, I could've paid only 99 cents to gain access to the music again with unlimited hours, but it would still have all of the limitations of the free account otherwise.

*Pandora is not a sponsor of Mr. IT - Tech News for Busy People

No comments: